NIJ Students To Stage Friendly Game To Remember Late Chris Ogbodo

So, it's already one year, when I received that unofficial call, asking me to confirm the news, which I hadn't even hard off.

And because of the nature of the news, I couldn't call someone else but waited till I got into the school premises to find out if it was an "April Fool" message in March or a monumental loss.

Guess what? When I got to the Nigerian Institute of Journalism that day, yes the school was on vacation, but it was extra quiet, as our vibrant lecturers were so early drawn into a sober mood, confirming the news without verbal communication.

His Obituary has already been designed by the management, and it was true, Mr Christopher Ogochukwu Ogbodo, has bided the world goodbye.

The gentle man became NIJ's sports director in 2011, after joining the institution in 2010, and helped transform the football team, until he left the Pen Pushers FC in 2015.

Every idea sold to him was never a waste, even when it wasn't good enough, he would sit with you and repackage the idea to make it acceptable.

We started a mini football league in 2014, which the then HND 1 students won, but his demise has seen that league thrown into the shambles, that's to tell you that he was a coach and also a manager.

So, in honour of the late NIJ's sports director, the Pen Pushers are organising a friendly game between the students and the staff, to remember the most gentle and peace loving man that was in NIJ at some point on Wednesday, March 9, 2016, organised by the Pen Pushers FC captain, Obatobi.

The team don't win anything, but it had potentials under him, as he was always planning games for the team, and atimes spent his money just to ensure his players got good welfare package.

These are some of the things some that played under him had to say:

Mosses Isikalu; former Pen Pusher assistant captain: "He was a great man, A role model to me and other people.
A well respected man
He showed me out to answer questions before exam which I will never forget
And another thing is if u fail his test
He'll give you another chance to make up for it.
I'll never forget him 
May his soul RIP
And I remembered when he gave me biscuit and milk when I was really hungry."

Owolewa Abiodun "The encounter I had with him was during my national diploma days when I wanted to sit for my exams and I brought in mathematical set and he asked me to submit it and kept it for me, and again in the cafeteria... He was a good father, brother and one of the best lecturers I know.
May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace, Amen.

Oyedele Muyiwa a.k.a Apostle Jega: "The man of his words" 

Abayomi Adepoju: "Chris, a man of his kind, down to earth, easy going, and always factual when he was alive. He was loved by most of the students. He always meant his words when said. 
I truly and dearly miss him, and his memories will forever linger on. 
May his gently soul rest in peace, Amen."

Popoola Daniel: "The man Chris can simply be described as an "Iroko Tree", because of his tremendous impact in the deep NIJ forest. 
It is hard for a tree to be in a forest and not be noticed based on the fact that it creates shelter and make activities within the forest run smoothly.
Everyone missed Chris, the plant and air feel his departure... Popo misses Chris."

Odunyemi Ayobami- Dakriss: "the last five letters of my nickname is pronounced the same way with the short version of his name, (Chris), maybe that was why he game me soccer boot without seeing me play football before. Thanks for the encouragement Mr Chris. I find it difficult to add late to your name. 
Daakriss dearly say RIP Mr Chris."

Tunde: "Mr Chris was not just an ordinary man, but a legend among all men. As a lecturer, he was a father. As a supervisor, he was a brother and uncle.
He was a man who made people believe that it takes more than just blood to be family. He's gone but emotionally, he will forever remain in our hearts.
RIP Mr Chris."

Obatobi (Current Pen Pushers captain): "to me, with my little experience with Mr Chris as NIJ's sports director was a smooth and extra-ordinary moment for me.
He was down to earth to the extent that he would type some needs of the school team, (pen pushers fc), and look for a business centre to print, whether in the school premises or outside, but if it were someone else, he /she would have sent someone else which showed how committed and humble he was.
He was respectful and also a man of his words."

Charles Odidika (Former Captain): "Giving and love for everyone were the virtues that marked the life of one of the most peace loving person I have ever met; Mr Chris Ogochukwu Ogbodo, will forever live in my memory... RIP Mr Chris."

He died exactly 13th of March 2015.
NIJ Students To Stage Friendly Game To Remember Late Chris Ogbodo NIJ Students To Stage Friendly Game To Remember Late Chris Ogbodo Reviewed by Unknown on 06:55:00 Rating: 5

3 comments:

  1. Mr. Chris, one of the reasons I'm still in NIJ. Prevented me from being a victim of circumstances, even when some persons turned their back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Chris, one of the reasons I'm still in NIJ. May he continue to rest in the bossom of Christ.

    ReplyDelete