Injury Rules Roger Federer Out Of French Open

World number three, Roger Federer, has confirmed that he won't be participating in this year's French Open after failing to recover from a back injury.

The 17 Grand Slam champion disclosed that he's not totally fit for the championship after hurting his
back during practice for the Madrid Open tourney this earlier this month.

Federer returned for the Italian Open but was beaten in the third round by Dominic Thiem.

"I have been making steady progress, but I am still not 100%," said the world number three.

"I feel I might be taking an unnecessary risk by playing in this event before I am really ready.

"This decision was not easy to make, but I took it to ensure I could play the remainder of the season and help to extend the rest of my career."

It means Federer will miss a Grand Slam for the first time this century.

The Swiss has struggled with injury this year, having undergone knee surgery after January's Australian Open.

The former world number one returned for the Monte Carlo Masters in April and reached the quarter-finals, where he was beaten by Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Federer, winner of the 2009 French Open, has played in just four events in 2016. BBC
Injury Rules Roger Federer Out Of French Open Injury Rules Roger Federer Out Of French Open Reviewed by Unknown on 20:50:00 Rating: 5

No comments: