Nigeria U23 national team head coach, Samson Siasia, has admitted he would have prefer to avoid Senegal at the semi final stage of the ongoing African U23 nations cup, but insisted that he will stand by his team to shock the host nation in front of their home fans.
Nigeria finished second in group B behind Algeria following their goalless draw in their last group game on Saturday night.
Siasia, whose side has conceded two needless second half goals, twice in this tournament, was able to keep a clean sheet against the second north African country in group B, but also failed to score which could have catapulted Nigeria to the summit of the group.
"I congratulate my team for not conceding and qualifying for the semi-finals. The most important was to qualify and we have achieved it. We wish we could garner the three points but I'm happy with qualifying and getting closer to Rio de Janeiro."
"I would have preferred to play Senegal in the final but I have to do at the semis. It will be a great match because they will have the public behind them and we have to play and win."
"At the Africa Cup of Nations in 1992, I scored here (Leopold Sedar Senghor Stadium), and this is why most Senegalese remember me. I will be around my players to repeat it next Wednesday."
Meanwhile, Algeria coach, Pierre Andre Schurman, after the game expressed satisfaction after his side held Nigeria to a barren draw.
Schurman also admitted that Nigeria were a stronger side, but added that it was important he avoided playing the host country at this stage of the championship.
"I'm glad we ended the top of the group and qualified for the semi-finals of the U-23 AFCON. Our approach is match after match. I'm satisfied with our performance overall and today against a tough opponent like Nigeria."
"Now we will prepare for the match against South Africa because it was important to avoid the host country (Senegal) in the semi-finals."
Nigeria will now face host country, Senegal on Wednesday while, Algeria will battle South Africa in the second semi final of the U23 championship.
The two teams that makes it to the final have qualified automatically, and the third spot will be fought for by the 3rd and 4th place teams.
Siasia Scared Of Strong Senegal Sqaud; He Reacts After Algeria Game
Reviewed by Unknown
on
04:09:00
Rating:
Reviewed by Unknown
on
04:09:00
Rating:

No comments: