America's Keni Harrison may have missed out of competing in next month's Rio Olympic Games in Brazil, the 23-year old hurdler has set a new 100m hurdles world record at the ongoing IAAF Diamond League meeting in London.
The American, who broke a 28-year-old world set by Bulgaria's Yordanka Donkova in 1988 finished
at a time of 12.20 seconds (0.3m/s) at the Olympic Stadium in London.
The 23 year old came into this championship as the fastest woman in the world this year, and she said she just wanted to show her colleagues that she's got the potentials.
British heptathlete Jessica Ennis-Hill finished last in a time of 13.04.
"After not making the Olympic team I wanted to come out here and show what I could have done," an emotional Harrison told BBC Sport.
"I came out here with a lot of vengeance. I knew I had it in me."
Former Olympic champion and BBC Sport pundit Michael Johnson said he had "never seen a race like that".
He added: "That record stood for 28 years, and could stand for another 28 years.
"She was almost a hurdle ahead of a world-class field. It was flawless.
"I am so happy for her because it would have been a long difficult summer with her not going to Rio, but that world record makes up for it."
Ennis-Hill, who will defend her Olympic heptathlon title in Rio, ran a season's best 12.76 in her heat at the Anniversary Games.
The American, who broke a 28-year-old world set by Bulgaria's Yordanka Donkova in 1988 finished
at a time of 12.20 seconds (0.3m/s) at the Olympic Stadium in London.
The 23 year old came into this championship as the fastest woman in the world this year, and she said she just wanted to show her colleagues that she's got the potentials.
British heptathlete Jessica Ennis-Hill finished last in a time of 13.04.
"After not making the Olympic team I wanted to come out here and show what I could have done," an emotional Harrison told BBC Sport.
"I came out here with a lot of vengeance. I knew I had it in me."
Former Olympic champion and BBC Sport pundit Michael Johnson said he had "never seen a race like that".
He added: "That record stood for 28 years, and could stand for another 28 years.
"She was almost a hurdle ahead of a world-class field. It was flawless.
"I am so happy for her because it would have been a long difficult summer with her not going to Rio, but that world record makes up for it."
Ennis-Hill, who will defend her Olympic heptathlon title in Rio, ran a season's best 12.76 in her heat at the Anniversary Games.
America's Keni Harrison Breaks 28-Year Old 100M Hurdles Record
Reviewed by Unknown
on
21:53:00
Rating:
Reviewed by Unknown
on
21:53:00
Rating:

No comments: