Yakubu Aiyegbeni vows to help Reading return to English topflight

Babalola Tomiwa

Super Eagles striker, Yakubu Ayegbeni has said that he is delighted to join English championship side, Reading from a Qatari side Al Rayyan during the January transfer window.

The former Everton forward said he is optimistic he will help his new side, where he is expected to spend the remainder of the season secure a ticket to the English topflight.

Yak, as he is popularly called will wear number 20 shirt at the Madejski Stadium and manager Steve Clarke has hailed the signing.

“It feels good to be back in England and it feels good to play for Reading Football Club,” Aiyegbeni told Reading FC Player. 

“I’m so happy to be here. I've been training so hard in Qatar and I'm feeling fit, I'm just ready to go. After two and a half years away from England I'm back again – English football is some of the best in the world, both the Premier League and the Championship.

“ I have played in this league twice - with Leicester and Portsmouth and I want to try to help the team. I just need to get on the pitch and give it my best, hopefully I can score more goals and help the team.”

He also paid tribute to Steve Clarke, who alongside the club’s owners was instrumental in bringing the striker to the club.

“Without him (Clarke) I don’t think I’d be here today, thanks to the owners too – they worked so hard to bring me here. The club have fantastic training pitches and a big stadium.

“The players and staff are good people and they have already made me feel at home. I am going to give it my best and we will see how it goes,” he concluded.

Yakubu could make his Reading debut against Wolves this weekend. Goal
Yakubu Aiyegbeni vows to help Reading return to English topflight Yakubu Aiyegbeni vows to help Reading return to English topflight Reviewed by Unknown on 18:17:00 Rating: 5

No comments: