The reigning Olympics champions in the singles men category, ZHANG Jike, has crashed out of the ongoing 2016 ITTF World Tour Korea Open on Friday.
Taiwanese CHEN Chien-An defeated the 28-year old current world number four 4-3 in their opening encounter on day one of the championship, which is part of their preparations ahead of this year's Olympics in Rio, Brazil.
ZHANG hasn't been fantastic for his country in the last one year, which is why his countrymen questioned the authorities when he was selected to represent the Asian side in Brazil this August.
Other top seeds that crashed out of the party on the first day are, Timo BOLL of Germany, Kasumi ISHIKAWA of Japan and Ai FUKUHARA also from Japan.
ZHANG, who despite having suffered several shock losses in the past 12 months was selected to play singles for China at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, which a lot of people questioned. This loss will cast further scrutiny over the decision to select the world number four over the current world number two and three FAN Zhendong and XU Xin.
The 2008 World Junior Table Tennis Championships in singles said said he was excited after beating the Olympics men's singles defending champions.
"I can’t believe it, I am so happy. I was leading 3-1 and then started to think too much. When it was 3-3, I just told myself to slow things down and relax, as I still thought I could win the match. This is the best singles match of my career."
In another game, French professional table tennis player, Tristian FLORE beat one of the tournaments favourites, Timo BOLL from Germany, who actually made a return to the game for the first time sine
since February’s World Table Tennis Championships 4-1.
The 21-year-old said admitted it the game was a tough one, adding that FLORE was his childhood hero while growing up.
"It was difficult playing him, as he is my hero. I grew up idolising him, and watching videos of him on YouTube. I was so nervous at the end, I was stressed. I am happy I was able to close the match out. This is my biggest ever win!"
Japan’s Olympic preparations have been thrown into turmoil with their three Olympic female players Kasumi ISHIKAWA, Ai FUKUHARA and Mima ITO all suffering defeat today.
World number 108 Cazuo MATSUMOTO (BRA) caused the biggest in the qualification stage, defeating world number 20 Andrej GACINA (CRO) to qualify for the main draw. Today, he caused an even bigger upset beating world number 18 Koki NIWA (JPN) 4-2 to progress to the next round.
In addition to the men's and women's singles event at the Korea Open, the world's best players will also be playing men's and women's doubles and the stars of the future will be lining up in the men's and women's under 21 events.
Taiwanese CHEN Chien-An defeated the 28-year old current world number four 4-3 in their opening encounter on day one of the championship, which is part of their preparations ahead of this year's Olympics in Rio, Brazil.
ZHANG hasn't been fantastic for his country in the last one year, which is why his countrymen questioned the authorities when he was selected to represent the Asian side in Brazil this August.
Other top seeds that crashed out of the party on the first day are, Timo BOLL of Germany, Kasumi ISHIKAWA of Japan and Ai FUKUHARA also from Japan.
ZHANG, who despite having suffered several shock losses in the past 12 months was selected to play singles for China at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, which a lot of people questioned. This loss will cast further scrutiny over the decision to select the world number four over the current world number two and three FAN Zhendong and XU Xin.
The 2008 World Junior Table Tennis Championships in singles said said he was excited after beating the Olympics men's singles defending champions.
"I can’t believe it, I am so happy. I was leading 3-1 and then started to think too much. When it was 3-3, I just told myself to slow things down and relax, as I still thought I could win the match. This is the best singles match of my career."
In another game, French professional table tennis player, Tristian FLORE beat one of the tournaments favourites, Timo BOLL from Germany, who actually made a return to the game for the first time sine
since February’s World Table Tennis Championships 4-1.
The 21-year-old said admitted it the game was a tough one, adding that FLORE was his childhood hero while growing up.
"It was difficult playing him, as he is my hero. I grew up idolising him, and watching videos of him on YouTube. I was so nervous at the end, I was stressed. I am happy I was able to close the match out. This is my biggest ever win!"
Japan’s Olympic preparations have been thrown into turmoil with their three Olympic female players Kasumi ISHIKAWA, Ai FUKUHARA and Mima ITO all suffering defeat today.
World number 108 Cazuo MATSUMOTO (BRA) caused the biggest in the qualification stage, defeating world number 20 Andrej GACINA (CRO) to qualify for the main draw. Today, he caused an even bigger upset beating world number 18 Koki NIWA (JPN) 4-2 to progress to the next round.
In addition to the men's and women's singles event at the Korea Open, the world's best players will also be playing men's and women's doubles and the stars of the future will be lining up in the men's and women's under 21 events.
Reigning Olympics Champion ZHANG Jike Crashes Out Of Ongoing 2016 ITTF World Tour Korea Open
Reviewed by Unknown
on
16:02:00
Rating:
Reviewed by Unknown
on
16:02:00
Rating:

No comments: